In TBC Classic, Hellfire Peninsula still remains the best place to mine for Fel Iron Ore. That’s because the area offers excellent visibility and it’s easy to navigate even if you don’t have Expert Riding and a flying mount. The TBC Classic Fel Iron mining route here is pretty similar to the retail WoW Fel Iron Route that we’ve also pointed out in a previous post, but with a few modifications.
- Minimum character level: 65
- Minimum flying skill: Expert Riding (225)
- Minimum mining skill: 300
- Flying mount
- Mining Pick
- GatherMate2 addon (optional)
Where to go:
- Alliance: Honor Hold (55, 63) – Hellfire Peninsula
- Horde: Thrallmar (56, 36) – Hellfire Peninsula
What to do:
Follow the route above and mine each and every Fel Iron Deposit that you can find. As a general idea, each major monster camp should have at least 1-3 mining nodes, with several possible spawn locations. The most important areas that shouldn’t be left unchecked are:
- The area around Hellfire Citadel between Broken Hill (40, 52) and Path of Glory (52, 51);
- Felspark Ravine (67, 37)
- The Legion Front (71, 57)
- Zeth’Gor (68, 72)
- Expedition Armory (55, 82)
- The Great Fissure (34, 60) – Hands down the best spot for Fel Iron Ore in the whole zone; sometimes you’ll find 2-3 nodes here up at the same time.
- Den of Haal’esh (26, 74)
- Dustquill Ravine (23, 63) – southwest of Falcon Watch
- Ruins of Sha’naar (14, 58)
- Thornfang Hill (9, 50) at the entry point into Zangarmarsh
- Fallen Sky Ridge (15, 39)
- Pools of Aggonar (40, 33)
After one hour of mining in TBC Classic Hellfire Peninsula, I got the following:
- Fel Iron Ore x 207
- Eternium Ore x 4
- Mote of Earth x 32
- Mote of Fire x 27
- Blood Garnet x 1
Now, Fel Iron can go for up to 50g per stack (at least for now), depending on server and time of the week. This being said, the 207 Fel Iron alone that I got would sum up more than 500g, which is not bad for one hour of mining, especially if you’re just starting the Burning Crusade zones.
The route above is rather long and even with a fast flying mount, it may take more than 10 minutes to cover it completely. Therefore, if there aren’t many other miners that gather Fel Iron, you can shorten it, and only move between the Hellfire Citadel area, Legion Front (71, 57), Zeth’Gor (68, 72), Expedition Armory (55, 82), and The Great Fissure (34, 60), for example. But regardless how you shorten this route, The Great Fissure should be part of it as it holds the most possible Fel Iron Deposit spawn points.
It’s a good idea to check the price for Felsteel Bar before auctioning your Fel Iron. Even though you might need to buy additional Eternium Ore, it may still be more profitable to craft and sell Felsteel Bars than just Fel Iron Ore.
If you have Jewelcrafting, you can prospect some of the ore and craft a few Azure Moonstone Ring or Fel Iron Blood Ring with gems you get. These are great for leveling players and you might get extra profits.